The Katy Depot

Sedalia's Welcome Center and Year-Round Destination

Hamilton

The 1918 Hamilton Upright Player Piano has a trail of mystery … The story goes that this piano was rescued by a group of young men who happened across it sitting next to a Sedalia street curb. It was been placed there as a result of a structure fire and appeared to be waiting for the trash man to haul it away. The structure had a reputation as being a brothel and therefore it appears this piano was used to entertain customers. While this piano was built after Scott Joplin’s time in Sedalia, it is representative of the piano he would have played. It is also very representative of Sedalia’s red light district. The Hamilton was donated to the Sedalia Heritage Foundation and funds are being sought to restore the operating parts to once again make it a player piano. Proceeds are tax deductible as a charitable donation. Checks should be made payable to the Hamilton Piano Project Sedalia Heritage Foundation 600 East Third Sedalia, MO 65301