Nationally active architect based in NY with
extensive work for multiple railroads across the US
All across America, depots were places of human drama, commerce and communication.
The Katy Depot was a major addition to Sedalia’s built environment. The depot’s architecture and construction made a statement about Sedalia’s importance to the MKT Railroad. Its engineering and use of space made it a proper second generation depot. It spoke of modernity, planning, and the latest trends in systems engineering.
The Katy Depot is both a symbol and an artifact of this story.
The first floor was dedicated to the primary function of the depot in serving the needs of passengers: ticket office, mens & women’s waiting room; kitchen & restaurant; and baggage room. The second floor housed offices for those who controled train traffic and for division point offices of resident engineer, dispatchers, telegraphers who maintained 100 miles of right of way.
Built in 1896 at a cost of $40,000, the Depot was located not only in the center of the Katy Complex but in the center of Sedalia (east Sedalia stop at 3rd & Engineer and west Sedalia stop at Pacific & Ohio). The depot served as passenger station for 58 years until the Katy ceased passenger service in Missouri in 1958.